National Honor Society (NHS)
Advisor: Deborah Anderson ( )
The National Honor Society is a nation-wide organization that was founded in 1921 to recognize and encourage academic achievement as well as characteristics essential to citizens in a democracy, namely character, service, and leadership. The National Honor Society flourished, and today there are more than 20,000 chartered chapters in the United States. Each spring students who are juniors and seniors who have maintained at least a 3.500 average GPA are invited to join. A committee of teachers reads the applications and recommends students for induction into NHS. National Honor Society (NHS) at Pipestone Area High School is based on the belief that true knowledge includes not only scholarship but also service, leadership, and character.
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built." Eleanor Roosevelt
"Learning is not attained by chance; it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence." Abigail Adams
"I've come to believe that each of us has a personal calling that's as unique as a fingerprint - and that the best way to succeed is to discover what you love and then find a way to offer it to others in the form of service, working hard, and also allowing the energy of the universe to lead you." Oprah Winfrey
"Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other." John F. Kennedy
National Honors Society Qualifications
1. Demonstrates leadership in classroom or organizational activities
2. Demonstrates leadership in promoting school events and activities
3. Demonstrated an ability to accept responsibility
4. Successfully holds school offices or similar leadership roles
5. Demonstrates initiative in carrying out responsibilities without prodding of the teacher
6. Demonstrates positive qualities and attitudes that are a silent influence on the student body
1. Meets their responsibilities and obligations to the school and teachers
2. Demonstrates highest standards of honesty, integrity, and reliability
3. Exhibits desirable qualities of a positive personality
4. Cooperates by complying with school regulations and codes
5. Upholds principles of morality and ethics
3. Grade Point Average (GPA)
1. Students will have maintained a GPA of 3.500 or higher to qualify for National Honor Society.
1. Candidates will need to have completed 3 hours of verifiable service not related to school academics or extracurricular activities.
2. All service reference by candidates will include verification by an adult supervisor of the activity under consideration.